Job Posting# 199857 – Posting dates 7/22 to 8/5/2021
Working Title: Content Specialist
Job Title: Writer (job code 100508)
Hours/Week: M-F, 40 hours
Salary Range: $35,000 – $45,000
Under the direction of the Strategic Communications Director and UM Social Director, the DPSS Content specialist assists in executing an effective strategic communications plan with the aim of communicating with a wide and diverse University of Michigan community. The primary focus is to create content for the DPSS website and U-M social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.). The content specialist also may assist in creating other marketing collateral, reports, presentations, videos, images, and other assignments as necessary. This position has the specific responsibility for creating, editing, and in some cases publishing written and visual content online, which enhances how we serve our community. Our goal is to inform, educate, and engage with our community on safety and security topics by providing accurate, timely, and engaging content and information.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Design, curate, and/or manage safety and security content for DPSS and U-M’s online websites and social media accounts
- Craft grammatically correct, well-worded, and engaging web articles, social media posts, and occasionally other marketing collateral according to DPSS & U-M guidelines and creative strategy
- Responsibility for creating, editing, and in some cases publishing graphics, images, content, and videos
- Works collaboratively to develop a variety of content, including, but not limited to: web pages, photos, graphics, memes, gifs, infographics, videos, and print items (posters, brochures, annual reports, etc.)
- Meets with DPSS personnel to determine the scope of a project and provide advice on visual elements
- Researches and gathers information on safety and security topics to improve understanding and ensure the accuracy of written content
- Meets with DPSS subject matter experts, key stakeholders, and community partners to create and revise the content
- Occasionally attend and take photographs and/or videos at special events.
- Create and maintain editorial calendars
- Facilitates the approval process of written content
- Reviews content for errors before seeking approval, printing, or publishing
- Provide insight into web and social media opportunities based on strategy and historical results
- Report monthly KPIs & analytics for DPSS and UM Social leadership
- Author best practices, summaries, and evaluations of emerging technologies and trends
- Serve as a liaison to intern staff, back up to the DPSS Strategic team members, and assist the Director of Social Media as needed
- Perform other duties as required or assigned which are reasonably within the scope of the duties enumerated above
- Undergraduate degree in journalism, communications, political science, or related field required
- Minimum of at least three years’ experience in a progressively responsible writer, editor, digital marketing, or related position, preferably in higher education and/or other safety and security setting
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, proficient in spelling, grammar, punctuation, and style necessary
- Demonstrated success in communicating and creating for websites and social media
- Capacity for brainstorming and contributing to creative problem-solving among colleagues representing a variety of disciplines, including subject matter experts, editors, videographers/photographers, graphic designers, and web developers
- Ability to give and receive feedback, while keeping an open-mind
- Success at setting and managing priorities (for self and for projects), handling multiple assignments and deadlines, while operating in a flexible, professional manner
- Experience with Google Apps for work and web content management systems required
- Detail-oriented, but able to see the bigger picture
- Occasionally available outside normal business hours
- Ability to complete projects by applicable deadlines
- Knowledgeable about and able to report on current trends and best practices in social media, digital content, and emerging technologies
- An advanced degree or comparable certification, training, or educational experience in communications, English, creative writing, journalism, marketing, or other related field is preferred
- Passion for social communications, innovation, branding, and promotions
- Experience working with law enforcement and/or security personnel as well as photographers, printers, writers, and marketing specialist is also preferred
- Well versed in safety and security issues
- Accustomed to the strategic use of social platforms for awareness, education, reputation management, and customer service
- Capable of creating content for a variety of platforms, including, but not limited to: website, social media, leadership presentations, reports, newsletters, and educational print materials
- Familiarity with the University of Michigan brand and working knowledge of university policies and procedures
This position serves a dual functionality, reporting to the DPSS Director of Strategic Communications and residing under the guidance of U-M central social unit (UM Social) located within the Office of the Vice President for Communications.
As part of the hiring process, you will be asked to create a sample of social media collateral and a writing sample of a web article (400 words or more). Further instructions will be sent after your application is received.
Candidates will also be required to submit a video presentation answering pre-screening questions through a third-party vendor (at no cost to the applicant).
This position requires the candidate to successfully pass a thorough background investigation.
DPSS Mission Statement
The University of Michigan Division of Public Safety and Security supports the mission of the University as a partner serving to ensure a safe and secure environment while improving the quality of life for all those living, learning, working, healing, and visiting within our community.
If you missed the deadline email your resume directly to email@example.com