Summary: The media relations and social media specialist is responsible for assisting the director of public relations and media with managing ASTHO’s social media channels, triaging media requests, and providing editorial and content support to the organization. In addition, this role will provide project management support to the public relations team and will work closely with staff, members, and external partners.
- Manage ASTHO’s social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, overseeing an editorial and observance calendar, developing overall content strategy, and posting and scheduling items using relevant hashtags.
- Develop and lead specific social media campaigns for large products or events, working across programmatic teams at ASTHO.
- Develop shareable graphics, and other engaging pieces of content for sharing.
- Monitor and engage with ASTHO members and target audiences on social media.
- Track and analyze social media metrics.
- Respond to media requests and track weekly clips.
- Write blog posts, press releases, factsheets, toolkits, and other communications deliverables.
- Monitor national news/current events related to public health issues.
- Assist with managing ASTHO’s speakers bureau.
- Schedule experts for and promote ASTHO’s daily newscast.
- Provide support to director of public relations and media on projects and other deliverables.
- 2-4 years of experience in media relations and social media.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public health, or related field, preferred.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment, manage multiple priorities, and meet tight deadlines.
- Excellent time management, writing, copyediting, and organizational skills.
- Prior experience working for a membership association or other relevant public health or public policy non-profit organization preferred.
ASTHO is the only national, nonprofit organization representing the nation’s state and territorial public health officials and the agencies they serve. ASTHO’s members, the chief health officials of all 50 states in the United States, the District of Columbia, the five U.S. territories, and the three freely-associated states, are dedicated to formulating and influencing sound public health policy, assuring excellence in public health practice, and advancing health equity and optimal health for all. ASTHO is headquartered in Arlington, Virginia and opened a second office location in Atlanta, Georgia in 2017. ASTHO was incorporated on March 23, 1942 with the goal of helping health officials navigate a rapidly changing public health landscape and remains a strong voice in governmental public health to this day. ASTHO’s mission is to support, equip, and advocate for state and territorial health officials in their work of advancing the public’s health and well-being.
State and territorial health agencies advancing health equity and optimal health for all.
ASTHO’s mission is to support, equip, and advocate for state and territorial health officials in their work of advancing the public’s health and well-being.