Communications Post-Graduate Internship
Reports to: Director of Communications
Apply by: December 15 at 11:59 p.m. EST
The communications intern will assist in the implementation of an overall communications and marketing strategy for the organization and specific programs.
- Assist in developing, updating and implementing marketing plans for programs and services, including but not limited to the annual conference, awards programs and training events. Plans should take into account marketing before, during and after each program.
- Manage social media channels (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Instagram), including daily engagement with respective communities.
- Create and distribute weekly e-newsletter, SPJ Leads.
- Help keep board and staff current on news related to the Society’s missions and goals.
- Work with board and staff, including the director of communications, to create and distribute Society news releases, statements, letters and announcements.
- Assist other staff members in promoting SPJ programs and services.
- Manage on-site social media coverage of SPJ’s events, including but not limited to the annual convention and the Future Leaders Academy.
- Update and maintain media lists.
- In the absence of the director of communications, manage media inquiries, organize interviews and appearances by leaders, the executive director and other experts when necessary.
- Assist in posting content to SPJ.org.
- Provide editorial content for all communications vehicles, including website, Quill magazine and other materials as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned by the director of communications or executive director.
- Must be a recent college graduate, with a degree in public relations, journalism, communications, marketing or related field.
- Writing and/or reporting experience required, including proficiency in AP Style.
- Should be able to manage multiple tasks, remain organized and meet deadlines.
- Decision-making, problem-solving and research skills are necessary.
- Should be able to express ideas and opinions clearly and concisely.
- Should be outgoing and self confident with a willingness to take initiative and work cooperatively with others.
- Proficient computer skills and extensive social media experience required.
- Strong work ethic and a positive attitude are a must.
- Experience with nonprofits
- Experience and/or involvement with SPJ
- Experience managing social media accounts and using social media scheduling software
- Experience writing and sending marketing emails and distributing press releases
How to apply
Interested candidates should send their resume, additional materials and three professional references to Zoë Berg (email@example.com). Please type “Communications Post-Graduate Internship” in the subject line.