The Michigan in Washington program is accepting applications for Fall 2021 and early admission to Winter 2022. The deadline is February15th and applications are available on M-Compass. Students are free to pursue internships of their own choosing. Students from all majors are strongly encouraged to apply! Some examples of internships undertaken by different majors include:
- Political Science: House Judiciary Committee; various think tanks; the Department of Justice; and for Senators and Representatives on Capitol Hill.
- Afroamerican and African studies: Middle East Institute; USAID; D.C. Public Schools; Smithsonian; D.C. Public Defender Service; NAACP; Congressional Offices and Committees.
- American Culture: Organization of American States; Smithsonian Institution’s National Museum of American History; National Women’s Law Center.
- Anthropology: United States National Archives; Asian American Justice Center; Smithsonian Institution Natural History Museum.
- Communications and Media: Federal Communications Commission; ABC News; CNN; C-SPAN; International Broadcasting Bureau; First Amendment Center; Campaign Media Analysis Group; Center for Democracy and Technology; Meet the Press; Democratic National Committee Brookings Institute; and Capitol Hill.
- Economics: Chamber of Commerce; Treasury Department; Federal Trade Commission.
- PICS: Arab American Institute; Washington Institute for Near East Policy; National Defense University; Truman Security Project; Middle East Institute; Human Rights Watch; Center for American Progress; Amnesty International; Center for Strategic and International Studies.
- PitE: Greenpeace; Environmental Law Institute; Department of Justice Environmental Enforcement; Sierra Club; U.S. Department of Justice Environment and Natural Resources Division; National Arbor Foundation; Environmental Protection Agency.
**This is just a sample of internships and majors**
What is Michigan in Washington:
The MIW program offers an opportunity each year for 45-50 undergraduates from any major to spend a semester (Fall or Winter) in Washington D.C. Students combine coursework with an internship that reflects their particular area of interest. The semester in Washington is action packed. Students work four days a week, attend an elective one evening a week, a research course on Friday mornings, and explore the city on weekends. Most leave Washington longing to return.
Students are free to pursue internships of their own choosing. They are coached in internship searching strategies as part of a professional development class that is taken the semester before going to D.C. This course also provides guidance with resumes and cover letters, as well as learning how to network.
Who Should Apply:
MIW is open to Juniors and Seniors of all majors. If you are interested in learning outside of a typical academic setting, while experiencing the vibrant city life of Washington, D.C., we strongly encourage you to apply. We seek students who are serious about exploring the reach of their academic skills, and we work to help students find fulfilling and cutting-edge internships in their field of choice.
FUNDING IS AVAILABLE. We have recently established a new Opportunity Fund with funding up to $5000! This scholarship fund will provide need-based support to students for whom a semester in Washington D.C. represents an exceptional opportunity to advance their professional goals. Preference will be given to students with a record of superior academic achievement and who are the first in their families to attend college, who have experienced hardship as a result of family economic circumstances, or who come from underrepresented educational or geographical backgrounds, such as public high schools in rural or urban areas.
Application Deadline: February 15th. Email Amber Blomquist at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Info Sessions: General-February 3 from 5:30-6:30 PM and the following drop in Q&A’s from 12-12:30-2/5, 2/10, & 2/12. All info sessions can be accessed at the following: https://umich.zoom.us/j/92634096629
To Learn More: http://www.lsa.umich.edu/michinwash